Thursday, October 2, 2008

Pasta night, again


Pasta Carbonara was on the menu tonight. Hawk over at foodfunk gave me a starting point with this,

I just mix an egg yolk with a little cream and lots of fresh cracked black pepper in a pasta bowl and put that in the oven at 180 F while I prepare everything else. While the pasta is boiling, I saute two strips of bacon, chopped, in a fry pan. I'll pour off a bit of the fat, drain the pasta and toss it with the bacon. When it's blazing hot and soaking up that bacon flavour, I toss it into the now-just-warm cream mixture. Toss well and serve on a warm plate topped with more parmesan. The key is good quality bacon and lots of heat from fresh black pepper. I like this dish ferociously peppery. This is actually a dish I turn to often when I'm just cooking for myself - which I was last night.

Normally adding a generous amount of salt to the boiling water when cooking pasta is important. However, in this dish the bacon and parm adds quite a bit of saltiness so be very easy on the salt in the boiling water. I used two yolks because I was feeding two and used milk because I had no cream. If I had to guess I would probably say I used between 1/4 to 1/3 cups of milk. I also set my oven to 170, not 180 as the Hawk suggests.

No comments: