Saturday, October 4, 2008

Chowdah Part Deux and 1/2


I made chowder again tonight. This time I went to Billy's and got a pre-made chowder mix that had haddock, salmon, scallops, and shrimps. We also got a few clams to add to this chowder. If you look at one of my earlier blog postings you'll see I made a lobster chowder. This time I pretty much did the same thing but I used bacon instead of pancetta. Since the fish and seafood were uncooked I added them in a bit earlier and then served just after the clams opened. The highlights of this dish were that the potatoes, herbs (thyme and parsley), and onions were from my garden. The garlic was from Trisha's grandfather's garden in Barrie, Ontario. We'll have babies of this garlic starting next summer. I had a few bay leaves in there that were not from my garden. This time around I went stronger with the herbs and fresh ground black pepper during cooking and then another round of pepper right in the dish before serving. I never thought I liked chowder growing up but now it is turning into one of my comfort dishes. Be sure to check out here this week for my first appearance in Fork it Over with Craig Pinhey.

No comments: